Tuesday, June 24, 2008

Adishankara on Vishnu Sahasranama Bhashya

Nama Article 25th June 2008

One of the names of Bhagawan in Vishnusahasranama is “Suvratah

Meaning: " He who takes Good Vows "

Adishankara gives in his explanation:

सक्रुदेव प्रपन्नाय तवास्मीति च याचते ।

अभयं सर्व भूतेभ्यो ददाम्येतद् व्रतं मम ॥

(Srimad Ramayana : 6.18.33)

sakrudeva prapannAya tavAsmIti ca yAcate |

abhayaM sarva bhUtebhyo dadAmyetad vrataM mama ||

Lord Rama says, "I vouch safe security against all living beings to one who comes to me only once and seeks protection (from me), saying " Rama, I am yours", such is my vow"

Vibhishana quarrelled with Ravana and came to Rama for refuge. Rama then consulted with Sugreeva whether he should accept him, as Vibhishana was from the enemy camp, and moreover, Ravana's brother.

Sugreeva expressed his opinion by saying that after all, he too is a kinsman of Ravana and so cannot be trusted. But then, Rama says, "So what if he is Ravana's brother? He has taken refuge in me. Whosoever takes refuge in me, him I will not send away."

Hence, the vow "Whosoever takes refuge in me, I will not send him away", made him "Suvrata".

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

What should be our vow then?

Chant the Mahamantra Nama kirtan :

Hare Rama Hare Rama Rama Rama Hare Hare
Hare Krishna Hare Krishna Krishna Krishna Hare Hare

No comments: