Wednesday, May 23, 2007

To one who has not struggled through books............

Nama Article 20th May 2007

Source: Talks with Sri Ramana Maharshi

Talk 336.

A certain Vaisya who seems to have studied the Upanishads and Srimad Bhagavad Gita asked some questions:

Devotee .: I try to understand but without success. Can I find the Self by means of japa? If so, please tell me how.

BHAGAWAN RAMANA MAHARISHI : What japa? Why should you make artificial Japa? You can find out the eternal and natural japa always going on within you.

Devotee .: Some upadesh will probably help me.

BHAGAWAN RAMANA MAHARISHI : If I say "Do - Rama, Rama" to one who has not struggled through books like you, he will do it and stick to it . If I say so to one like you who have read much and are investigating matters, you will not do it for long, because you will think, "Why should I do it? Above all, who am I that should be repeating the mantra? Let me find who I am before I proceed further"; and so you will stop japa and begin investigation.

No comments: